Student Course Withdrawal

After registration students may withdraw from a course through the last day listed to withdraw on the Academic Calendar. Withdrawal from a course may affect financial aid awards, but does not affect a student’s grade point average.

A student should first talk to the instructor and advisor to see if there is any way to remain in the course. If not, the student must (1) complete a Registration Change Form found online at Student Forms, (2) have an advisor sign the form, and (3) submit the form to Student Services.

Developmental Corequisite Course Withdrawal Process

A corequisite course is one that must be taken simultaneously with another specific course. Some corequisite courses are considered curriculum courses (numbered > 100) and some are considered developmental courses (numbered < 100). When a curriculum course is paired with a developmental course, the student may withdraw from the curriculum course while remaining enrolled in the developmental course; if the student drops or withdraws from the developmental course, the student must also student must drop or withdraw from the curriculum course. Curriculum courses paired with developmental courses are as follows:

Curriculum Course

Developmental Course

ENG 111

ENG 011

MAT 110

MAT 010

MAT 121

MAT 021

MAT 143

MAT 043

MAT 152

MAT 052

MAT 171

MAT 071

Instructor/Course Withdrawal

Faculty must withdraw a student from a course for excessive absences by the Last Day to Withdraw from Class or Audit (See Academic Calendar). See the course syllabus for faculty expectations for attendance.

Official Withdrawal from the College

To withdraw from all of the current semester’s courses, a student must complete the College Withdrawal Form located in Student Services or online. The student should discuss withdrawing with an advisor. The student’s financial aid and future academic records may be affected by a withdrawal and should be discussed with the Financial Aid office.

How Withdrawing Affects Financial Aid

Whether you withdraw officially, or unofficially, the college must determine if you earned all federal or state aid received. The law specifies how Craven CC must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are Federal Pell Grants, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants, and, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs). Though your aid is posted to your account at the start of each semester, you earn the funds as you complete the semester. If you withdraw during the semester the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula (known as a Return of Title IV). If you received less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/or you.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your semester, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the semester, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that semester.

Withdrawal from the College after Deadline

Contact the Registrar to withdraw from classes after the Last Day to Withdraw from Class or Audit (see Academic Calendar).  Students who withdraw after this date for extenuating circumstances will be withdrawn from all of their current semester classes.